Back to Work Nice and Early (6/29/19)

Today it was time to get back to work nice and early. Don’t get me wrong, having time off these past two days has been really nice, but it’s definitely always good to get back to the grind (and actually make some money). I was hoping to sleep in until at least 7:40, but my body decided to wake me up at 6:30. Lucky me. To be honest, I thought it was later, so I just sat on my phone for a little while until I figured my alarms would go off. After being proven wrong quite quickly, I laid back down and fell asleep for just a few minutes; I need all the rest I can get on days like this. I finally got up by 7:50, took a shower, and got ready to go; catching the 8:45 A train downtown to work. As per usual, I ended up taking a nap on the way there, which definitely helps me out as I get in the right mindset for the day.

When I got to work, I checked my side work, which just so happened to be rolling, and I got to it. After a minute or two, however, the manager gave me flack for not having my full uniform on, so I apologized and quickly put on my polo; Not a big deal, just something that needed to be done. After 30 minutes of rolling, we got our break, and I headed to Pret for some much needed breakfast. Today I went with an egg dish, some type of yogurt, and then a banana, which was actually a really solid combination. Before now I felt like I’ve stuck too heavily to a bunch of carbs, so I was happy to work some more healthy ingredients into my diet. After finishing my breakfast, I started heading back to work, stopping along the way for a donut at Dunkin’. Also side note, why in the fuck are donuts at Dunkin’ $1.51? Like really? you couldn’t just say fuck it let’s do 1.50? You needed to add that obnoxious extra penny in there? Listen I could honestly go into a long rant about why pennies should just be done away with in our society, but now’s not the time. I got myself a chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles, because I love myself, and headed back to work to start the day.

After pre-shift, I headed over to my section to see what was going on; I was in section 10, which was at the very end of the restaurant. Because of the view and everything, it can be a pretty busy section, but I was ready to do it. Now the day today honestly went well. It was busy for sure, but I never felt like I was drowning. The tables were paced properly, so I was ending up having 9 or 10 tables under my belt no problem. We had little issues here or there, but for the most part, everything was fine! The only rough part was that most of my tables weren’t ordering too much, so my tips weren’t that hot. Rough, but it happens. The only issue I ran into was at the end of my shift, because I can’t ever just finish things out properly. There was this one table in the corner who ordered a cheese and meat board, along with two pastas. Now I always send everything out at the same time, with the board coming out within two minutes or so, and then the pasta coming out a good 7 minutes later. Normally that’s enough time for people to have tasted and almost be done with the board, but not this couple. This couple decided to barely pick at the board for a bit, so when their entrees came, they weren’t ready for them. Five minutes passed and the runner circled back, and they STILL weren’t ready. At this point, the chef’s mad at me because he has to remake these goddamn pastas, because they’re dead. We can’t sell them at this point. It’s annoying but shit happens. Luckily I just re-sent the ticket and passed the table onto the server taking over, and I got to getting my side work done- more rolling. Thankfully, I had some help from another server, so I actually ended up getting out of the restaurant just after five, which is kind of unheard of to be honest with you. Normally I’m lucky if I get out of there by 6. After counting up all my tips; cash being rough with only $45, but credit card tips still hitting just over $300, I headed on home. Side note, I looked at the count at the end of the day, with how many people I served, and I think it was over 70 people. Holy moly. Mind you, we barely hit that as a restaurant at Emma’s Torch. And those days were inSANE.

I realized as I was on the train that i forgot to clock out, AGAIN, but it is what it is. I don’t know why, but I keep forgetting to clock out after I’m done with my shift! Like damn I guess not having to clock out for three months really got to me. But we’ll get it. Starting tomorrow. Andrew was busy tonight and couldn’t see a movie, so my plans for tonight have been to just stay in. I played some League and ordered pasta from Pick & Eat, which I haven’t eaten from in quite a while, so it was definitely a nice change of pace. I also got paid today! Which we absolutely love. I ended up making just under $500, but I also only got paid for working like 22 hours, so my next paycheck is gonna be looking even nicer. God I’m so grateful to be making a living wage again. I can pay my credit card bill, I can pay rent. I can even actually start spending money on things I WANT again. Holy moly. My plan is to finally see Be More Chill next Wednesday, so that’s going to be a blast and a half. Now all I have to do is get through these next three days, which are all days where I’m working 9:30 to god knows when. Pray for me.

Until next time,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close