A Coffee Meetup, Lost Travel, and New Knowledge at Work (10/30/18)

Today I finally got to see my professor for the first time since I graduated FDU. I emailed her a month or so back, and she thought it would be a good idea to meetup with everyone who had moved into the city so far; today was finally the day. I woke up, got ready, taking a nice shower and changing into a long sleeved shirt and black jeans, and headed out. I caught the A down to 59th and transferred to the 1, and headed up to 86th Street. I got off the train and headed to Le Pain Quotidien, a cute little café right nearby. My professor is a regular in Le Pain Quotidien throughout New York, so she thought that would be the best place to go. We were all planning on meeting up at 11:30, so I arrived at 11:20, to find my friend Lauren sitting down, working on things for the show she’s directing at the moment. We said hello and sat down to talk for a bit, while waiting for Spencer and our professor, Stacie. We joked that Stacie had maybe forgotten that we were meeting up, since she had done that about a month ago. Luckily Lauren received a text from Stacie saying that she was just running late, and she would be there closer to 11:45-11:50. Soon after that text, Spencer arrived, and we all sat down to chat and order some drinks and food.

I ended up getting this ham and cheese on a baguette, which was fantastic, while Lauren ordered a coffee and Spencer got a mocha latte and a waffle. The thing was super tiny, but it looked really good, with some berries on top. Finally Stacie, the woman herself, arrived. She’s a person that I have looked up to for so long now, because she’s the one who I auditioned for to get into the program at FDU, and she’s the one who made me really believe I was a good actor. I have so many things that I am so incredibly grateful to the woman for, and it really was wonderful to see her again. We caught her up on what we’ve been up to, now that we’re all in the city, and she told us that, optimally, we should be going to two auditions a day, since you’re only going to book 1% of the auditions you go to. Well fuck. Honestly her saying that really put into perspective how much I’ve just been relying on this showcase company. Don’t get me wrong, it is and will be a fantastic opportunity, but I need to continue to being going out and doing things myself. Andrew said the same thing last night, so I really need to step up my game. After chatting for a good hour, Stacie said she had to go, so we said our goodbyes for now; hopefully we’ll be able to do this again real soon.

After Stacie left, we paid for our meals (obviously Stacie paid before she left) and headed out to catch the subway. Lauren and Spencer said that I had to see the Natural History Museum, since I hadn’t seen it in a long time, and honestly it just made me want to go to more museums. You know, continue to become more cultured. Finally we caught the B up to 125th, where I said my goodbyes and headed off to transfer to the A. It was now about 1PM, and since I needed to leave around 3PM for work, I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get home, change, and head back out. Now on the screen that shows all of the trains coming in, it said the A was pulling up as a train arrived, so I hopped on it and stopped paying attention. I know the A, I trust it. At first I thought we were just running local stops, since we weren’t just going 145, 168, 175, but it’s happened before so I ignored it. However, when we reached what I thought to be 175th Street, it turned out to be Tremont Ave., which is on 177th St. in the BRONX. I actually got on the wrong train. I got on the D instead of the A, and ended up across the river. Jesus what a huge mistake. I quickly got to the other side of the tracks, and waited for the next D to arrive, all the while getting more and more worried that i was going to be late for work. I took the D down to 145th, and transferred to the A, which thank goodness is so quick because it’s Express. I made it home by 2:35, changed my shirt, used the bathroom, grabbed my book-bag, and headed back out for work.

Luckily I made it to work by 3:50, which helped me cool down quite a bit. I head inside and begin prepping for the day. I make a side mention that it was my birthday yesterday, and my manager Sara and the owner of the restaurant, Kerry, both apologize they forgot and wished me a Happy Birthday, which was really nice. Kerry even played some Taylor Swift, because of course I kinda have to be feeling 22 now. Luckily there was an event earlier today, so there wasn’t much to do setting up wise, so we finished pretty quickly. We had like 25-30 on the books to start, so it was going to be a pretty relaxed night; And honestly, it was. There weren’t too many issues, which was great… though I was told that I need to stop touching my hair while at work, which I know I shouldn’t do to begin with. My hair is just getting so long that hair products don’t always hold it up for too long. Luckily Sara had a bobby pin to spare, so I put it in and it seemed to do the job pretty well.

Now as for the service, there weren’t any real issues, other than when Sara began telling us something that I had been told before, and heard chef talking to her about just moments ago, so I responded “I know”. It’s not polite, as I am beginning to learn, but it’s just a gut response. Sara reamed into me, saying that it wasn’t my time to talk, and I was just to listen and then talk when she’s done. Not during. I kept my mouth shut, even though I wanted more than anything to back sass her. It really bothered me that she was so aggressive and rude to me when she said that, and I was not happy. I tried to keep a happy face, but it was still really bothering me. However, the more I thought about it and the more time passed by, with Sara acting like nothing happened, I decided to treat it as nothing. And to be fair, she’s not the first person to give me shit for doing it, so it’s something that I need to work on fixing, and I am trying. I don’t know why that’s such an ingrained thing for me to do, but I really need to stop doing it. Also, there was a family of four who came in to eat, and they didn’t speak very good English. Now even though I took two years of Spanish in middle school, two years in high school, and two semesters in college, I cannot speak Spanish to save my life. I really just don’t get foreign languages, and have always had trouble learning them. Today was just one of those days where I wish I was more fluent in Spanish, so I could’ve actually had a better conversation with them, instead of just doing my best to explain everything in a way they understood. I think they thought I didn’t know any Spanish, because whenever I tried just little things, like Gracias, they would say De Nada, and then preface it with “De nada- thank you”. Even though I knew that, it was still kind of them to try and help me out however they could.

Finally the service ended, and I gotta clean up and go home; time flew by because towards the middle of service, we had a bunch of people coming in at once. I was excited to get home, since I had some family meal to take home and eat for dinner, so I hopped on the next F and was on my way. The F took a weird route, and I had to change to the A at Hoyt, because we didn’t stop at Jay St. for some reason. Honestly it didn’t matter, because soon enough the A train arrived and I was on my way home. It was a long train ride, so by the time I got home, I was just so happy to relax and eat to end my night. I played two games with Mags, and then played a game on my one, all three of which I lost, and so I decided to end the night watching three episodes of Parasyte. I also sent out an email to the temp agency I’ve been partnered with, saying that I have decided to not work with them anymore, at least for the time being. It was something that I had been thinking about for a good while now, and I finally decided to make the move after talking with Mags on the phone. I haven’t gotten a response back yet, but I expect either a phone call or an email tomorrow when I wake up. Seriously I need to get some sleep. It’s already 4:31AM, and tomorrow I’m going to spend the day thrift shopping. I’m planning on hopefully dressing up as Milo from Atlantis if my friends and I go out. If no one’s doing costumes I won’t do it, but if they are, it’d be fun. Now I’m gonna go pass out. Goodnight!

Until next time,



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close