Meeting the New Pup with some Wine and Cheese (10/17/18)

Today was the day– my friend from high school finally got her puppy, and I was going to get to meet it for the first time. Since she was getting back from work later in the day, I got to spend the first part of the day doing what I do most days I have off– sleeping and playing League. Aka- nothing. I woke up at 1PM, heated up some leftover pasta from last night, and cracked down on some League. It’s actually 3:49 now, and after losing game after game after game tonight, I’m pretty fucking tilted, but I digress. I heated up my pasta, and chipped away at the waking hours as I waited to head over to her apartment at 6. As the clock struck 5PM, I figured I should probably start getting ready. However, when I went to go into the bathroom to take a shower, one of my roommates was in there. Since I had a bit of time before I could get ready, I figured I would make a quick run to the Rite Aid down the street; I needed to pick up more soap anyway, so it was perfect.

I made the quick trek down there, and while in the store, I grabbed some Dove bar soap, and a package of cookies, because of course I did; I’m addicted. When I was in line, however, I noticed there was a small box containing Cosmic Brownies, for 50¢ per. Now, I’m not sure if you know what Cosmic Brownies are, but they are small fudge brownies with rainbow sprinkles on top. I grew up eating these, and they have such a nostalgia to them. When I was in Elementary School, I remember I would sit at the lunch table with my friend Glenn, (I don’t mind using his name because he has disappeared off the face of the Earth since high school. We were great friends, but I guess we wanted different things in life. It makes me sad, but I hope I’ll see him again someday), and we would both buy a Cosmic Brownie from the lunch line, and count the sprinkles. Now we were both really into Pokémon at the time- I still love Pokémon, though I don’t play the games as much anymore, and so we would also count each color, and whichever color you had the most of, that’s the type of Pokémon you were. It sounds silly and stupid, but we were kids! To this day, I still do what I did back then- count the sprinkles and eat whichever side has less sprinkles first. I honestly don’t know why I do it. It’s just so ingrained into me at this point that I kinda have to.

After buying everything I needed from Rite-Aid, I headed back home, and ate the Cosmic Brownie before getting in the shower. Now they’re not the most incredible tasting treats on the planet, but there was such nostalgia that it made me smile. After finishing the brownie, I hopped in the shower, and got ready to head out and visit my friend and her new puppy! I texted her around 7:15 saying that I was gonna head over, and asked if she wanted me to bring over any wine; I still had those two bottles of white from Sunday, and I definitely wasn’t gonna drink it all. I wasn’t sure if she would take me up on the offer, but she said that her and her roommate were definitely down to help me finish my bottles. So I put the bottles in a bag, and headed out. Now on Maps it says the walk is about 20 minutes, but for me it took about 10-15, mostly because I just walk very fast. I made it in, and was let in by a lady who just so happened to be their neighbor.

As I stepped inside, my friend opened the door, holding the tiniest little pupper I have ever seen. He weighed 4 pounds, and wore a little bell around his neck, so they knew where he was, because they didn’t want to step on him, he’s that small. Now I wish I remembered his name, but it’s evading me at the moment. But he’s such a precious little puppy. He is nipping and teething at the moment, which is something their training him not to do; well not to bite so hard anyway. Teething is natural. Luckily the puppy is also litter box trained, which is why my friend got him. As I settled in and met the roommate and the puppy, I offered them some wine, and was offered in turn with some food, which I think is a fantastic trade. For the next 2.5-3 hours, we all just relaxed; drinking wine and eating cheese, pretzel chips, and a frozen meal from Trader Joe’s. It was honestly such a fun night. We easily finished the two bottles of wine between the three of us, and they both seemed to really like the wine. I doubt these wines are the most expensive in the world, but we do sell them for $55 per bottle at the restaurant, and $14 by the glass, so not too shabby. Also they just taste really good. As we relaxed, ate, and drank, we just continues to reminisce and spill tea about things and people throughout our high-school years.

Honestly, I think tonight was exactly what I needed. I haven’t had much human contact outside of work and my roommates for a good while now, and I really miss it. That is something I really miss about college. I miss being able to just walk on over to a friend’s room and hang out every night; drinking and playing games, and overall just enjoying life. As an adult, all my friends are scattered across the states and the globe, and it becomes very hard to see anyone ever. Don’t get me wrong, I love living in New York, living my dream; or at least trying to. But I wish I had more friends that I could hang out with more often, you know? I don’t really like bars and clubs, but I would go out more if I had friends to go with. I crave human interaction, which is maybe why I play League so much– that along with the fact that it is the one constant in my life that I feel like I can hold on to when everything else seems so impossible to control. Sorry things just got really deep Jesus.

Anyway, around 10:30 I said my goodbyes and headed back home. On my way back, I called my twin and we chatted for the length of my walk back, and then we both got on League to play a few games before she had to go to bed. Like I said earlier, I continued to play, and lose, game after game, so I’m not in the greatest of moods, but it’s also 4:18 now, so I guess it really doesn’t matter. I should probably follow the How I Met Your Mother rule of “nothing good ever happens after 2AM”. Probably would save me a bunch of stress. Now then, I am going to get some sleep, because tomorrow is a new day, and I need to go and buy an air freshener for my room, so it doesn’t smell like a locker room. I also need to do laundry, so that’ll get done probably tomorrow night as well. Here’s to another day that I am alive and trying my best to be happy.

*Also! Today is Day 6 of the Musical Theater thing, so today I chose Sister Act. It was my final show at Fairleigh Dickinson, and has so many fond memories attached to it. I bonded with so many people, and it was such an incredible experience. I love the cast and crew, and had a blast. It reminded me once again exactly why I chose to do this for the rest of my life. Also there is an inside joke where, when the nuns are running out in the end, shouting “Take me!”, since there were times when two or more ran out at the same time, someone said “Take we!” It became the saying of the show.

Until next time,


Sister Act (Take We).jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close