A Second Day Off With A “Neurotic” Show (10/5/18)

Today I woke up at 8AM, just like yesterday, and just like yesterday, when I received no call from my temp agency, I fell back asleep until noon. Before I fell back asleep, I debated what I wanted to do with my day. I decided to check out TodayTix to see if there were any good deals on shows throughout New York. I noticed a musical called “Neurosis” was having $20 lottery tickets for the day, so I decided to enter– why not? Unlike the Be More Chill lottery tickets, Neurosis tickets were actually first come first serve, so I pretty easily snagged a ticket. After paying for the tickets, I laid back down and fell back asleep for a few more hours.

I ended up waking back up at 12:30, and, knowing what the plan was for the evening, I eventually got up, played a game or two of league, and made some lunch for myself. I put in some rice, chicken, and green beans, and combined them all in a pot with teriyaki sauce and some cheese, and came back to my room to eat and relax for the next few hours. When time grew near to leave for the show, I hopped in the shower and got ready to leave. I threw on some black jeans and my grey button-up, and headed out. Neurosis began at 8PM, so I hopped on the A train at 6:35, and immediately fell asleep. I woke up when we got close to 14th street, surprised by the fact that it was already almost 7 o’clock. I hopped off the train and headed along the station to transfer to the L.

After a few minutes of waiting, the train finally arrived and I headed towards the theater. I ended up arriving at 7:20, picked up my ticket, and since the door was open to the theater, I headed on in. When I walked in and found my seat, a gentleman in the back told me that the house wasn’t actually open yet, and I apologized and headed back out. Since I had some time to spare, I left to get some food at Au Bon Pain. I ended up just grabbing a sandwich and some water, and after gobbling down the sandwich, I brought the water with me back to the theater, sat down, and so the show finally began. I don’t want to spoil anything from the show, but Neurosis was honestly just a lot of fun. The story is pretty simple– it all plays around a guy and a girl, both with their personified Neurosis(es?), and them living their lives. The music was really fun, and I laughed quite a few times throughout the musical. I really vibe with overthinking literally everything, especially when it comes to talking to girls. Now I don’t mind talking to women, but when it comes to relationships and flirting especially, I still feel clueless.

As the curtains closed and the cast bowed, the theater thundered with applause and cheers, and the show at last came to a close. Honestly as I listened to the music of the show, I debated if I could sing any of the lead male’s songs. Now this isn’t a role that I could play for quite a few years, since he’s supposed to be 30 and I look 10 (just kidding… 15), but the type is still pretty in line with mine. Nerdier, quirky guy goes after girl, while being made to look like a fool, until it works out somehow and they end up together. Every time a see a show, especially like this, where it just looks like so much fun, I can’t wait to start acting again. Now the new member orientation for TAP NYC begins on Monday, so I have my eyes set on that for now, but there’s still so much that I want to do. Now don’t get me wrong, I love working at Emma’s Torch– but it’s not what I want to do with my life. I didn’t move to New York to be a server. I moved here to continue being a working actor; And I know I’ve only been here since August, but fuck I want to start acting and I want to start being able to act full time and that’s it. It’s that drive that really makes me know that this is what I want to do with my life, and I love it. There are so many other things that are in the air in my life– friendships, relationships, and having a social life in general, but acting is my rock. It is my anchor and it is keeping me from drifting away from my path and getting lost. (Damn that sounds super cheesy and cliché haha)

Anyway, as the show ended, I picked up my stuff and headed back home– first on the L, then transferring to the A. Luckily the A was still running Express, so I got back home fairly quickly. Once I made it back, I hopped back onto League to play a few games with my sister and just catch up, since it had been a few days since we’d talked. We finally ended our games at about 12:30, and I have been writing this blog ever since. It is now 1:41, and I have clothes all over my bed that I dumped there earlier, in an attempt to force myself to fold them and keep everything neat. Once I do that, I will finally pass out for the night– I gotta be up early tomorrow for work. Happy weekend to me!

Until next time,


Neurosis Cast.jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close